Current conditions in York

Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Hostel


Given all the nice scenery around us, the view from my hostel room is quite a let down as it is overlooking a car park. As we are in the countryside, it gets quiet at night, that is if there are no noisy students disturbing the peace of the night. Just now, while eating dinner in my hostel's kitchen, I can even hear the cows moo-ing in the distance.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I don't have to hear the sound of traffic at night. I suppose we all get use to the busy background noise in Singapore, but I do believe it has a negative effect on our well-being. You don't realize how noisy Singapore is until you get to a quiet place. I find that I can concentrate much better in my room than back in my apartment in Singapore.

My room space is quite big (matched equally by the rental -- bye bye allowance), and can comfortably fit in two other sleeping person. However, the attached toilet is really small. There is hardly space to spread out your arms when showering, and it feels a bit like trying to bathe in a pipe.

Each hostel block consist of flats. The flat here would correspond to what we call a unit in Singapore. Each flat consist of six rooms with a kitchen. So far, I have only seen 3 of my flatmates: One from India, US and British. Maybe more will move in next week because someone told me that there are many postgraduates who have now decided to transfer to my hostel, which is a exclusively for postgrads only. It's never a good idea to stay with undergrads.
Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/puayc/sets/72157602302351539/

No comments: