Current conditions in York

Monday, November 26, 2007

British weather

The infamous British weather had not lived up to its reputation for the first month since I was here. The weather was mild, and even though it rained on a few occasions, there were lots of sunshine throughout.

Well, it now seemed that the weather was just putting up an autumn charade to welcome us. These past couple of weeks has seen the typical UK weather upon us:


strong wind...clouds, rain...
more rain, and frost.

The last picture was taken last Friday morning from my room's window. It is the first time since I came here that the weather is cold enough for the roof opposite to turn white with ice. As you can see from the middle picture, the roof is actually black in colour when it isn't so cold.

But we are considered sheltered. York city, and the university, are situated in the Vale of York, and so are protected from the rain and snow by the surrounding high grounds. A senior student told me that it snowed only once last year, so there goes the romantic, white Christmas we are awaiting.

So, to get a white Christmas, I'll be traveling with two friends to Austria during the Christmas vacation. Yes, the land of Sound of Music, so I'll be updating with lots of photos when I get back. Remember to tune in back then!

No comments: