Current conditions in York

Friday, September 12, 2008

The beginning of the end

Well, well, well....to think that I have not been posting all summer, and the first when I return is one signalling the beginning of the end of my York days. I have just returned from printing out 2 copies of my 82 page dissertation, so I am all ready for the submission tomorrow morning. So, this is it. I'm left with one final presentation middle of next week, and then it's time to close shop.

Before looking towards the end, just a short recap of what happened this summer. As you may have guessed, I have been busy with my dissertation. In fact, the only other significant thing that I did during summer is to tour England and Wales with mother and sister for three weeks. That was nice, and if you had been observant, you would have noticed some of the photos taken during the trip on flickr. There are still more than half of the photos not yet uploaded.....shows how occupied I am with the dissertation...but anyway, will try to upload them over the next week. Moral of the story: Don't take so many photos next time! "Film" is free, but time is not!

Weather wise, it has been a miserable summer. It has been raining or cloudy most of the time, literally. We have the shortest number of sunlight hours and most rainfall for summer on record! It is just as well that I have to spend the summer huddle up in the lab doing the project.

The weather has now turned colder, between 10 - 20 C now, and the days have been rapidly getting shorter, with the sun now setting at the "normal" time of about 7 plus. Ya, just when I have finished all my work, now there is no more "after-office" sunshine to enjoy. Well, I supposed it doesn't matter, the weather has continued to be wet and cold, and anyway, it is time to get use to 12 hours daylight again.

The gooslings and ducklings have all grown up, and there are now no signs of any baby birds on campus. Now that the mating season is over, the birds are again a picture of peace and harmony (ok, except during feeding time when they fight each other for the bread crumbs you throw at them). In fact, they now like to group in big flocks (will post some photos that I have taken when I can find them). Maybe they are getting ready for the migration south, and are building up relationships for the long journey ahead.

Well, to think that next week this time, I will be all packed and ready to leave York. It makes me quite sad to think about it. Since my undergraduate days, I have always enjoyed being a student, and I never dreamt that I have this chance again at this age! But all good times must come to an end, and I think this is really really the last time I will ever be a full-time student (at least not in this lifetime)

That's life. Time to prepare myself to being a teacher again, ya, and all the stress and pressures that comes with it. It will be a good test of how well prepared I am for life during this one year's break from life.

There is one more week to go here, and I'll probably be able to get a few more postings in before leaving this place for good. Almost, but not quite time yet to say goodbye.

No comments: