Current conditions in York

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Not Previously Seen - Part 3

Not previously seen, at least not for me. I have been trying to get my hands on one for a while now, but the Sony Reader is not sold in Singapore. As luck would have it, Sony launched it here this month, so I just had time to grab one before I go.

I have to do a little bit of hacking to get the Chinese display though, since the ones sold here does not support Chinese out-of-the-box. The hack resulted in me having to store all ebooks on the SD card instead of in the main memory, but that is just a minor issue.

To be honest, e-books still can't really replace the real ones. For one, it's still easier to read from real books, especially when you need to flip back and forth through the pages quickly. However, the reading screen, built out of e-ink technology, is a vast improvement on the eyes than LCD. But of course, real books can't beat it on convenience. Now I can have several tens, if not hundred, of thousand pages of reading material I can carry around and store on one small device. You are looking at a whole bookshelf there in the picture. Great space saver.

No comments: